View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 702 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 UFO CHALLENGE 

Post UFO CHALLENGE
Hi crafter's,Is anyone interested in having an unfinished project challenge each month. My thoughts are that people that are interested in participating could post and list an item or two that they would like to complete or work towards completing. At the end of the month we could post and let everone know what we have achieved and our plans for the next month. Any ideas :idea: suggestions :?:

Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:25 am

I think that is a brilliant idea. I am forever setting myself deadlines to finish things but not always motivated enough to stick to them. Something like this would really inspire me to get things done. What a pity we can't meet to celebrate our successes at the end of each month! Will we start from October? Can we include new projects or are we talking strictly UFOs here?
So glad I found this forum!
Ros :D

Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:46 am

I'm in......anyone that knows me...knows that my mind works far faster than my fingers...and therefore I have a squillion projects lurking in the cupboard ( squillion = more than a million...HONEST :!: )

I really do need a motivation to get going and get things done...although having read a small quote by Snoofy earlier today has me thinking...she said something about more projects than years left on this mortal coil.

That made me stop and think....I want these projects in my home, hanging up, on benches and bookcases, looking decorative and pretty, not lying in a cupboard with a mental note to get them finished "one day". :cry:
Same with gardening...I swear...this will be my LAST spring without Sweet Peas.....every year i promise I will plant them....then never get around to it.
So girls...lets get going :!: :!: :!: It's time to change our ways!

Netts xxxx

Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:41 am

I will even start the list going with 2 UFO's or (Works in Progress as I like to call them as UFO's sounds negative.) that I want to get finished.

1. Mystery Quilt that I found on Patchwork Pumpkin Website. At the moment I am 2 months behind. I am currently piecing together, next step is to sew the pieces into rows.

2. Other project is a Queen size quilt top that is round the world on point with the corners being waves. So many small pieces on the waves. At the moment the centre is done and 2 corners are on.

Let us know the date we need to report back with our progress.

Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:28 pm
Profile WWW

OK - I'll go next. Time to turn all those good intentions into action. I am going to finish a lap quilt that is half quilted (rather badly but still worth finishing) and my flannel quillo (still to be layered, quilted and bound). Yesterday I finished a patchwork cushion with a Woodcutter's Daughter stitchery in the centre, so am feeling pleased with myself.
Kelly your projects sound sensational - can't wait to here how you go with them.
Bye Ros

Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:49 pm

OK time to put my money where my mouth is :!:
If we are talking things to finish by the end of October heres my list:

1. Finish my lounge room curtains.....this of course is partially dependant on the extra fabric that I need arriving from Melb and my driving the 2 1/2 hours to collect it! It will be soooo nice to finally finish the wretched things, not to mention the privacy factor!

2. The Lizzie Kate cross stitch I've been working on (almost there)

3. Make a bear called Merry Beary.....I've had the pattern and body fabric for...ohh...about 7 years now....I didnt want to rush into it...but I need a largish bear to sit on a small chair in my lounge room.

4. Complete the stitching on a Christine Book wallhanging that I bought at the Sydney Stitches and Craft Show last month.

Well that should keep me out of mischief for a while...

Netts xxxx

Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:43 pm

O.K. my turn to commit. I have a little notebook with a list of about 17 unfinished projects. :twisted: So for the month of October i am GOING to make a little wallhanging kit that i got for my birthday 2 yrs ago. :oops: Complete Raymond rooster from country threads a few issues ago. :roll: He's about 70% complete. And make my mum a cushion for her birthday on the 2nd october. Ros, to answer your previous question you can work on whatever you like, I think it will be good to challenge ourselves to get things done each month. Perhaps we could post our achievements around the 30th each month ,and our projects for the next month. What do you all think. Any others who wish to join in please do. :D

Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:06 pm

I too would like to join in, my mother in law has just left our home in the Hunter Valley to head home to Tassie, she asked me when she was here what I was working on now??!!! I think the answer to that questions is what am I not working on now....So I will start with these:
1. Stuff my Piccanini Patchwork large pillow.
2. Complete my other Piccanini Patchwork Pillow, that only need the back on it and stuffed.
3. Make my youngest daughter a cloth doll.
4. Quilt and bind a wall hanging (large) Simply Homespun design and HANG IT UP.
5. Bind my oldest daughters ballet wall hanging and hang it up.
That should keep me going for a little while.... This is a great idea and hopefully it will inspire me to really work on these projects not think I will get around to them someday..
Good luck all

Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:58 pm

ahh Kristy, I was wondering what happened to the Raymond Rooster!! I don't know if I want to comit to finishing any UFO's, it needs thinking about because I wouldn't want to get the guilts when I didn't get it done.
Sambo

Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:14 am

I'm with you Sambo. It's a big commitment!! Besides how do you decide which UFO to finish?? And does it mean I would have to leave my present one or two (or more :oops: ) projects in abeyance...thus creating more UFOs?

Good luck to all the ladies who are having a go.

Take care,
Linda

Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:00 pm

Hi Girls. :lol: How are those ufo's coming along Ros,Netts,Purplewick and Penelee? I gave Raymond rooster some feet the other night just have to sew his toes on and attach his thighs to his body with buttons. His wings and tail feathers are next. Hopefully at the end of October we will have made some great progress on these ufo's and we can move on to some other projects for November. :twisted:

Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:34 am

It's amazing what you can do when you put your mind to it. I have finished my first UFO (which had sat on the shelf for about 2 years). My lap quilt is totally finished and on the couch. It was my first ever quilt and I had tried to hand quilt it and given up (I must be the world's slowest hand quilter). A while ago I pulled out the hand quilting and started machine quilting but never got around to finishing it. My big mistake was that I marked some of the quilting lines with a greylead pencil and it was really hard to get off. Never again!!! But now I can get on with the next thing. Thanks for getting me motivated Kristy.
Bye

Sat Sep 27, 2003 6:53 pm

The curtains....a tale in themselves.....for a first attempt, not bad...and the extra fabric i need has arrived instore....but the ones I have already made...I'm afraid I think I need to redo the headings...they just dont sit flat in the middle, but rather curve in...which leaves a small gap at the top...so back to the drawing board there! :cry:

Lizzie Kate cross stitch is done :lol:

Teddy bear...havent started as yet...I actually went to cut another bear out today and discoverd that the kit I had purchased YEARS ago....doesnt contain enough fur fabric :evil: ...no matter how i twist and turn and scrimp on the layout...it just doesnt work...so i'm now on the lookout for a smaller bear pattern so the fur isnt wasted.

The wallhanging is slowly getting there....slowly being the operative word! :lol:

Netts xxxx

Sat Sep 27, 2003 8:34 pm

We I feel really bad - I haven't even looked at the 2 UFO projects I mentioned last week. I actually spent a lot of time in my sewing room on the weekend starting a new project !! :oops:

It is a machine embroidered Christmas wallhanging. All basted together ready to quilt tonight. I am hoping to get some kits of it together to sell on my website so I guessed that since Christmas is getting closer I better get organised.

Next week I will have more to report on my UFO's

Mon Sep 29, 2003 11:27 am
Profile WWW

How are those UFO'S coming along girls? Well i completed the cushion for my mum's birthday and it looks great. :lol: But i must say that if i see another yoyo puff this week i'm gonna choke. I had to make about 30 for the cushion. I have picked out fabrics for the small wallhanging that i got over 2 yrs ago and i still have more work to go on Raymond rooster. I will have to get stuck into it this weekend as the month of October is ticking by and i want to work on other UFO'S next month. I had a little shopping expedition on my own without the kids yesterday and went to a new shop that has just opened in Lauceston called THE COUNTRY QUILTER,very nice.
I went to spotlight and got some backing for a scrap quilt that i made 3 1/2yrs ago and started basting last night.(isn't that back breaking work) :oops:

So how is everybody else getting on with their UFO'S? any progress?

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:37 am

Ok ladies I would like to jion in here if I may, do UFO's have to be only craft items, can they be other projects put on the back burner??? eg: I have the fabric and I made the patterns for some shorts for my little guys but havent cut them out and they are sitting waiting tpo be started...I also have some painted pieces I would like to finish and report on, are these counted????

Otherwise I have some sewn xmas stckings with applique to finish, 7 in all to be personalised also, and a santa ready to go.....

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:15 am

Please do join in Kylie, Please complete anything that you wish. Listing UFO'S here is like a TO DO LIST that everybody gets to see :oops: and we can all motivate each other to relieve ourselves from so many UFO'S.It is also a great feeling when we finally complete something that has been hanging around for ages. This forum is a great place to brag when you finish something and you just have to tell somebody :P So please list them and we can all help keep you on task :wink:

Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:45 pm

I'm too embarrassed to post - I have done nothing on my UFO's but have started more new projects.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:02 pm
Profile WWW

I've recently completed 1 wool x-stitch of Dolphins 40cm x 40cm. Brought the frame for it yesterday, so now have to work out how to hang it correctly. (Gift for my grandfather for x-mas who recently moved house and has naked walls).

Also completed Firemen Teddybears long stitch 40cm x 30cm. Cannot find a frame to fit, have been to craft stores, $2 shops, photo printing shops, Big W, K-mart and havent found one that fits. (Gift for 3yr old nephew for x-mas).

Currently 50% way through Sunflower Tess longstitch 40cm x 30cm also. Really pretty. (Gift for 1yr old neice) (sister of before mentioned nephew).

Beatrix Potter counted cross-stitch still only 80% completed.

Leeanne

Also due to start a swap project for swap 3.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:49 pm
Profile YIM

I have almost finished my quillo after a few hassles with it. Just need to slipstitch the binding and sew on the pocket. I am looking forward to getting on to something else including my swap item. Will commit to some more UFOs when the quillo is totally finished, but also have to keep working on a wizard cross-stitch which is going to take much longer than I thought....(supposedly for my son for Christmas). Well done to everyone who is making progress. Kelly, at least you're honest!! :D
Keep crafting,
Ros

Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:20 pm

May l join in girls. l posted some of my projects on another page about U F O that you will probably see. l think my Christmas stuff has to be finished first.So l will get into it on Sunday.Tomorrow have Grandaughters 9th Birthday party.So nothing will be touched in the sewing line. 14 little girls to keep entertained.Any suggestions?
Cynthia

Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:57 pm

Hi Cynthia,yes, please join in. I just loved your post in the other forum :lol: especially the bit about the chocolates and craft magazines(wouldn't it be nice) Have fun at your grandaughter's 9th birthday. I have a 9yr daughter and they are so sweet at this age. Oh they grow up way to fast don't they.

Fri Oct 10, 2003 8:38 pm

I think I should get in on this too. The only problem is where to start - so many things that need finishing - so many kits that need starting and then there's the wish list of what I've seen and want to do. Perhaps I should make a list. :? :?

Fri Oct 10, 2003 9:20 pm

Well, my quillo is finally finished. I think I might have worn out my unpicker but it is done! :roll: I had lots of trouble, first with the quilting, and then with getting the pocket the right size so that the quilt fitted in but without looking too flat, but it is not too bad now. Thank goodness - now I can start something else. My Christmas swap takes priority, but in what is left of October I would also like to make 2 felt bears and a patchwork bag that I have been planning for ages. Oh, and keep working on the dreaded wizard...
Keep it up guys. We are doing so well!

Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:35 am

Kristy, could you tell me where the "The Country Quilter" is in Launceston. Next time I visit my DD, I will go there.
TIA.
Take care Gail

Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:14 pm
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 702 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next